Monday, July 20, 2020

What to do if you see a baby bird ?

Well, this was not what I had in mind however, this topic came to me as it happened to me while I was walking in the park  and I saw a tiny body sitting tight on a small plant. 

This has never happened to me before, I have always only seen people in other parts of the world saving and taking care of baby birds. While I secretly hoped that I too would take care and make a connection with a little birdie, preferably not a caged one some day.

Trust me the moment I saw the bird, the first thing I did was run back to my house and get a cloth to pick and wrap it and take it home. But as I was walking back to the spot where my husband was made to stand guard, I realised I know nothing about taking care of a bird. If I decide to take it home, then it was up to me to ensure its survival. Besides, what to feed? how to feed? and make sure it lives?  

So, I paused and then took to Google for some advice and tips. This is what I discovered about baby birds that you may see one of the two types: a nestling or a fledgling.

A nestling would be the ones that should be in the nests and do not have wings.  If you find a nestling, you might have to locate its nest and put it back, that is, if it is within your reach. Birds, unlike some other animals, don't reject a baby because it has come in human contact or touch. If you cannot find the nest, then you may call your local wildlife community helpers for support and rehabilitation.

if it is a fledgling then you can be happy. A fledgling is a baby bird learning to fly. It may have fallen or has taken a spot to sit while learning to fly. Usually the adult bird is close by to keep an eye. This I can attest to as after I read this, we went for our second walk and as we neared the spot we saw the adult bird sitting close to it.

Only if no adult is nearby then, you may do the same as for a nestling and ask for help from community helpers.

So, while we walked we saw the adult bird return to the fledgling to feed, so I did not touch or take the bird, as was my first instinct. However, I could not resist from taking pictures of this close encounter with a White Eye fledgling.







So, next time you see a baby bird, first check for if it is a nestling or a fledgling and then decide your next step of action.

If you are an upcoming birder like me and want to share your blog posts or write a blog you can connect with other influencers by sending an email to Feedspot media database. https://blog.feedspot.com/bird_blogs/












No comments:

Post a Comment