Tuesday, June 9, 2020

Common Kingfisher

I wanted to start my first blog with one of my favourite birds called the Common Kingfisher.
My first sighting of this bird was in my own front yard in the water tank in Kerala. I simply adored how nimble it was as it dipped in the water for the small guppy fishes. It hovered from point to point to collect its prize. But those beautiful blue feathers really shine under the bright sun as it perches on a tree.

So here is what I know about this beautiful bird. There are at least 114 species in the world out of which India has 5 or 12 types. The five I am sure which are found in India are:
1) Pied Kingfisher
2) Small Blue Kingfisher
3) White breasted Kingfisher or White Throated Kingfisher 
4) Black capped Kingfisher
5) Brown headed Stork billed Kingfisher

This how they look 

Picture take from ebird site.
Nesting season: between October and May.
Distribution:  Throughout the plains of India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Burma.

Clicked by me during our Puducherry trip to Paradise Island in March 2018.
This was my second sighting apart from Wayanad, Kerala.
Nesting season: between March to June.
Distribution: throughout the Indian Union.



Clicked by me and sighted at Sanjay Lake Park, Delhi. I have sighted this bird at least 7 times in Delhi.
I can confidently recognize its call from the other birds.

Nesting season: between March to July.
Distribution:Plains and Lower Hills throughout the Indian Union.


Picture from ebird site.

Nesting season: between May to July.
Distribution: Practically the entire coastline of India South of about Bombay.



Picture from ebird site.

Nesting season: between January to July.
Distribution:Practically the entire Indian Union  excepting Rajasthan and the adjoining arid portions.





Kingfishers are territorial birds as they need territory that will provide them with ample food. You will always see or sight a lone kingfisher. You may not see them in groups or pairs. Unless it is probably their breeding season. 

While reading I learnt that the Kookaburra which is seen and known throughout Australia is also the largest of all kingfishers. Though the main diet of Kingfishers include fish, they also eat insects,water beetles, tadpoles, lizards and dragonfly. I have sighted only two kinds. Hope to see the others soon too.

Below are my captures of this beautiful bird:

8 comments:

  1. Absolutely amazing! Very well written & very impressive:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a 'King'ly entry into the world of blogs! It's both gratifying and informative. Already waiting for the next one...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thank you for your kind words. This is very encouraging!

      Delete
  3. Beautifully put! Ishtapettu cos it was crisp! Awaiting for more. Ellupam ezhuthanne! Happy blog writing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss Joy :) Ezhtham allathe evede povanna.

      Delete
  4. "And suddenly you know.... it's time to start something new and trust the magic of beginnings". Well done! Look forward to more such posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and support :)

      Delete