Sunday, July 5, 2020

Black Rumped Flameback

As a beginner birder I was truly happy when I sighted this bird. I was sitting in the balcony when I heard a consistent pecking sound. As I looked closely, I spotted this beauty hidden. It kept circling the tree, but I finally managed to get one or two clear shots.

As I pay more attention to birds I see so many different and beautiful birds, and each time I see a new bird, I want to know its name, learn something about it and if possible listen carefully to its call, so that I can differentiate them.

The black rumped flameback is also called the Golden-backed Woodpecker. It is practically distributed around the entire Indian Union, but it takes only 35 + years to spot them for the first time. Kidding :) 

They are partial to Mango tops, groves of ancient trees and coconut plantations. They chisel away at rotten wood for beetles  and insects. Black ants, pulp of ripe fruit as well as flower nectar also count among favourite foods. 
Their nesting season is between March to August. Apparently this species is seen in pairs, however, I saw only this as a single bird.

There are 12 different species of woodpeckers in India.
Happy to have caught at least oneπŸ™ˆ or at least it is a start.

Here are some pictures:
This is all I saw at first, then slowly I saw the whole bird.

Love the red or crimson crown and the occipital crest.

So I took around 10 pictures but only one was relatively a clear shot. Rest of the time we were playing hide and seek.

But when it flew away I got a silhouette from a distant tree.










Hope you will get to see it too. 😍

No comments:

Post a Comment